Parent Outreach Associate
Federal Program: Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP)
Grant Period: The Council on Postsecondary Education was awarded a new grant (GEAR UP Kentucky 3.0) for a six-year period beginning September 2011 until September 2017.
Starting Date: Open until filled, 1st review of submissions on November 5, 2012
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; includes full time benefits
This position is a GEAR UP federally-funded, time-limited position. Continuing employment is contingent upon individual performance; the continuing annual federal appropriation of GEAR UP funds, and approval of GEAR UP Kentucky project by the US Department of Education.
The Council on Postsecondary Education is seeking a professional for its GEAR UP Kentucky (GUK) Frankfort central office staff. The individual selected will assist in the implementation of a statewide plan to cultivate communities of parents where families learn to value postsecondary education, develop the skills to help students succeed; where parents know the steps to take for college and understand the resources available.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong community organizing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong team-building skills
- Knowledge of P-16 system in Kentucky
- Public presentation and speaking skills
- Strong computer skills including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint , and Excel
||Education and Prior Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with outreach and community organizing experience.
- Experience in the field of K-12 education desirable.
- Represent the CPE and GUK 3.0 in an appropriate and positive manner.
- Assist the GUK 3.0 Communications and Outreach Coordinator to establish and maintain consultative relationships with community services professionals to engage parents.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of periodic community meetings
- Coordinate planning activities and mobilize community sponsors for an annual parent summit at the Institute for a College-Going Culture.
- Assist with the deployment of information to parents that promotes the importance of higher education, explains college preparation and admission requirements and raises awareness of the resources and services provided by GEAR UP for students, their families and communities.
- Assist with brokering relationships between GUK 3.0 site-based staff and the Family Resource and Youth Service Centers and other community/state organizations to build stronger in-school parent advocacy groups.
- Plan and develop a regular school-based parent outreach/volunteer meeting agenda.
- Cooperate with the Coordinator for Direct Services and assist in planning parent outreach activities that are consistent with a GUK 3.0 statewide agenda; and identify strategies to reduce the barriers to parent involvement.
- Work with the GUK 3.0 central office management team and regional staff to identify program support needs and recommend improvements and training opportunities for GEAR UP parent volunteer leaders.
- Participate in the GEAR UP Capacity Building Workshop (February) and National Conference (July), conducted by the National Council for Community and Education Partnership (NCCEP). (The two events are required professional development activities by the U. S. Department of Education for GEAR UP staff.)
- May participate in selected home visits to parents of GEAR UP students where parent involvement in school issues can be facilitated through one-on-one interactions.
- Other responsibilities or task may be assigned by the Outreach and Communications Coordinator, or GUK 3.0 and Academic Affairs senior management staff in Frankfort.
This position reports to the Communications and Outreach Coordinator.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application specifically addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the position; a curriculum vita or resume; and, the names, titles, and contact information for at least three professional references to:
Rebecca Bowman, Human Resources
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Dr., Ste. 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
The Council on Postsecondary Education is an equal opportunity employer.